Get a US visa
Whatever your reason for traveling, you need an ESTA or a USA visa to get to the United States. There are a multitude of visas, depending on your status or your professional situation. Although the reasons for application are varied, the procedure to obtain it remains the same.
How to obtain a US visa
Whatever the reason for your stay, obtaining a visa for the USA is mandatory under immigration regulations in the United States. To obtain your visa, you must follow the procedure that includes a file and an interview at the US Embassy . During this interview, you will need to share the reasons you want to travel to the United States, the length of your stay, as well as various information about your personal situation, your health (present and past) and your background. court.
The issuance of a visa is not taken lightly by the US government, so the interview at the embassy is a condition for a USA visa . Also, we advise you to introduce yourself by being prepared. Here are our tips:
- Plan to go there at least half an hour before the appointment to make sure you are not late;
- Adopt a dress code suitable for the interview because the image you send back is essential;
- Get your valid electronic or biometric passport;
- Prepare your answers to any questions you may have during the interview;
- Plan to pay the application fees corresponding to the type of visa you wish to obtain.
The period of validity and the price depend entirely on the type of visa you wish to obtain: 12 months and 150 dollars for an au-pair visa or a J-1 visa for an internship, 10 years and 400 dollars in the frame a B visa for example. Each request is studied on a case-by-case basis by the US government.
When to apply for your USA visa?
We recommend that you begin your process at least several weeks before the date of your departure to be sure to obtain your USA visa in time. Indeed, you must fill out various forms, some of which are to be completed online, gather a large number of documents to build your file and bring everything to the Embassy during your interview. It is also necessary to take into account the processing time of your application which includes a thorough study of your file.
Once your appointment is over, you will need between 3 and 5 working days (postal delays) to receive your visa by mail.
Also anticipate your future better on the spot, especially for the long term, considering obtaining a social security number in the United States .
ESTA, alternative to visa
In case you wish to travel to the United States for touristic or professional reasons for a stay of less than 90 days, then we advise you to obtain an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) rather than a traditional visa. France is a partner country of the Visa Waiver Program , so you are entitled to this travel authorization which allows you to be exempt from visa. The benefits of ESTA are numerous:
- Validity period of two years allowing several stays with the same authorization;
- Lets stay in the United States for up to 90 days without the need for a traditional visa;
- There is no need to move to the embassy: the process is fully online;
- No need to mount a file with a multitude of administrative papers: you only need your valid ePassport ;
- Your approach is treated very quickly: in less than 72 hours only.
If ESTA is better for you, simply go to the official US Customs website to begin the process.