Visa J1 Stage USA

The United States make you dream? Did you manage to get an internship at a company located on Uncle Sam’s land? You will finally be able to fulfill your dream! But for that, he’ll first have to get one of the US visas other than the ESTA: the J1 visa.

For a stay of less than 90 days in the United States: You can complete the formalities for entering the USA directly via the Internet by clicking on online-form. It is not necessary to obtain a J1 visa, nor to obtain an appointment at the American embassy or consulate. By completing the form, you will obtain your Electronic Travel Authorization in a few minutes.

What is the J1 visa?

The J1 visa is an authorization to enter the United States specifically for students and young professionals (up to 38 years) allowing them to stay for a period of 18 months maximum. They can do an internship (paid or unpaid, contract or not) or a summer job. This visa allows:

Conversely, the J1 does not allow:

The J1 visa is divided into 4 different visas depending on the type of work you could find:


How to get a J1 visa?

Unlike the ESTA authorization , and the image of many visas, getting the J1 visa can be long and tedious …

To begin, you must find a sponsor. A sponsor is an organization accredited by the US government to help applicants in their process of obtaining a J1 visa. The latter must verify your eligibility and then issue you the form DS 2019.

Form DS 2019 is the document that serves as an internship agreement between you and the company. It includes all information related to the internship: start date, end date, assignment assigned, number of hours worked, amount of remuneration, etc. Once the form is completed, you will need to contact the US Embassy to build and submit your file, including the DS 2019. The final step will be an interview, in English, with an officer of the US administration. At the end of this session you will know if your application is accepted. If so, you will receive your passport and visa by post within 4 days.

Note : Be careful not to confuse visas J1 and F1.