COVID infos As of May 12, 2023, it is no longer necessary to be vaccinated against COVID 19 to travel to the USA.

ESTA or American visa

If you are planning a trip to the United States, regardless of your destination, you will need to obtain a travel authorization prior to your departure. Since 2009, there is an electronic authorization that can be obtained through the Internet: ESTA. This travel document for the United States is available to travelers from Visa Waiver Program countries. An ESTA does not meet the same requirements and can never replace a visa.

For a stay of less than 90 days in the United States: You can complete the entry formalities directly by Internet by clicking on the online form.

There is no need to make an appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, or to obtain a visa. By completing the form you will obtain your Electronic Travel Authorization (ESTA) in a few minutes.

Length of stay

The first difference between an ESTA and a USA Visa is the length of stay they allow. Professionals or students who wish to stay in the United States for a long period of time, i.e. more than 90 days, cannot stay in the United States with an ESTA authorization and must apply for a visa.

The conditions of obtaining

The ESTA form is available online and must be filled out no later than 72 hours before departure for the United States. To obtain a visa, you need to contact an American embassy.

The price

The process is not free, through the official ESTA authorization website, travelers must pay a minimum of $21 in administrative processing fees. The price of a visa application is much more expensive, ranging from €185 for a B2 visa to €315 for an E2 investor visa.

The duration of validity

An ESTA authorization is valid for two years from the date it is obtained but does not authorize the person to stay in the United States for more than 90 consecutive days. The length of validity of a visa may vary depending on the visa concerned. Thus, tourist and business visas authorize a stay of 6 months while student and work visas meet their own conditions.

You can also apply for a Green Card if you have refugee status, family in the USA, are married to an American citizen, selected in the annual lottery or sponsored by an employer.

After two years, you will have to renew your ESTA.