Lost ESTA document

To travel to the United States, it is necessary to have a valid ESTA authorization to be in good standing with the American authorities. Also, it is always good to know what the ESTA allows. One of the most common questions asked by our users is what to do if you lose your ESTA document. First of all, don’t panic, losing an object or a document during a long trip is common. Our team explains everything you can do to resolve your situation and recover your ESTA.

Do you have to fill out a new form if you have lost your ESTA?

We always recommend that you have your ESTA printed out on paper so that you have it available just in case. If you have misplaced your travel authorization and do not know how to find it, do not worry. The process is very simple and does not require you to reapply. This means that you will not have to pay the application fee again. A travel authorization is valid for two years and is validated electronically. As a result, the information you provide when filling out your form is stored in the U.S. Customs’ computer database. This means that a U.S. customs officer can easily access this information if needed and confirm that you have ESTA authorization.

Note: if your information has changed since your last ESTA application (name change, address change or passport renewal). In this case, it is imperative to renew your ESTA application.

How to find a lost ESTA?

As explained above, if you need to retrieve your authorization, the process is fast and free. To do so, you simply need to connect to the official website of the American customs, then click on the button “Retrieve Application”. You will then be asked to provide certain information:

To avoid any problems, you can print your ESTA authorization on paper and keep a copy with you. You can also send an e-mail containing your ESTA authorization to your own e-mail address so you can access it online at any time.