Green card by work
The green card , or green card in French, gives permission to the people who hold it, to live and work on American soil. It can be obtained in different ways: via a refugee status, playing the annual lottery, following a wedding … We explain to you through this guide, the conditions required to receive a green card for professional reasons.
Apply for the green card for professional reasons
Getting the green card for business is not easy. The US government, anxious to give priority to its nationals in employment, has put in place a lengthy and expensive procedure for employers who would like to hire a non-US citizen.
In fact, many recruiters prefer to avoid embarking on such an approach, moreover if the coveted candidate is not already present on American soil.
Similarly, this reluctance can be explained by the fact that the employer who will help you get the famous green card has no guarantee that once the sesame in your pocket, you will stay working for his company.
The permanent resident card obtained for professional reasons is therefore more suited to highly qualified individuals with extraordinary skills or working in a rare or specialized field.
It offers the advantage to its holders to be able to register for social security, which is useful for carrying out a large number of administrative procedures.
Note: Similarly, a new project, aimed at allowing non-US citizens to start their business, through a start-up visa, could emerge in the coming months. Case to follow …
Green card, wanted profiles
People with the following profiles are likely to get the green card:
- excel in science, arts, education, business or sports;
- be a renowned professor or researcher
- to own or manage a multinational;
- invest $ 1 million in the United States, in areas that create jobs (10 positions minimum).
You can also apply for the green card if you belong to the following categories, but know that your chances of being sponsored by an employer are very slim:
- hold a Bachelor’s degree (the US equivalent of the license);
- to practice a profession that requires at least two years of training or experience;
- occupy a position requiring less than two years of training or experience.
If your approach does not succeed, do not be discouraged! Other solutions are available to you. You can :
- apply for the green card by choosing another reason (marriage, family ties, lottery …);
- apply for a traditional visa
- get an ESTA, thanks to a quick and easy procedure that you can perform directly from our site.