The United States of America hosts more than 60 million tourists from around the world each year to visit the country. Indeed, thanks to its influence around the world, its history and its many varied landscapes, the US has enough to sell their “American Dream” for a few days of vacation. Many UK tourists choose this destination and leave thanks to the visa waiver program. But how to obtain ESTA authorization in the UK? And what does ESTA do?
UK ESTA: what is it?
UK ESTA, or simply ESTA, is a special authorization to travel to the United States. It is the result of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), or “Visa Waiver Program”. It grants entry into the United States without having to obtain a visa provided that it meets certain criteria:
- Plan a stay of 90 days maximum;
- Plan an unpaid tourist or commercial stay
- To be able to present a return ticket;
- Have an electronic or biometric passport
- Traveling with a company validated by the US government.
But in the end, it is the US authorities that issue or not the authorization. This requires filling out a form.
UK ESTA: how to get it?
Getting an ESTA is very simple. Just fill out an online form (and exclusively online) by answering several questions. You only need to make sure you have a biometric or electronic passport and a credit card that allows you to pay online.
The form is as follows:
- A first part where you will be asked for information related to your identity;
- A second part where you will have to fill in the information written on your passport;
- Finally, the third part consists of a series of questions with binary answer (answer by “Yes” or “No”) on different topics (your health status, legal history …).
It is important to note that UK ESTA is not free. A first $ 14 will be required to submit your application. This money is used to finance the administration in charge of verifying the authorizations but also the bodies responsible for the promotion of the United States in the world.