COVID infos As of May 12, 2023, it is no longer necessary to be vaccinated against COVID 19 to travel to the USA.

Visa F1 studies in the USA

Have you always dreamed of doing or continuing your studies in the United States? In order to fulfill your wish, it is important to undertake the right steps correctly. At first, it is necessary to obtain an adequate residence permit: the F1 visa among the various visas for the United States.

For a stay of less than 90 days in the United States: You can complete the formalities for entering the USA directly via the Internet by clicking on online-form. It is not necessary to obtain an appointment at the American Embassy or Consulate, nor to obtain a visa. By completing the form, you will obtain your Electronic Travel Authorization in a few minutes.

What is an F1 visa?

The F1 visa was created especially for people wishing to study in the United States. It is intended for students who want to enroll in an American accredited institution for more than 18 hours of classes per week. These institutions may be public or private, institutions offering English language learning programs, high schools and universities. Nevertheless, elementary and primary schools as well as adult education centers are not included in the visa.

It is important to note that the F1 visa only allows to go to the USA to study and nothing else! During the first year of study, it is forbidden to work outside the campus. And even within the latter, the only authorized jobs must be solely related to your integration and not to earn money to live. Click on the following link if you would like to know how to join an American university.

How to get an F1 visa?

In contrast to an ESTA authorization request, obtaining a visa can be a long and tedious process: the F1 visa is no exception.

As a first step, it is mandatory to find an establishment where to register. It is thanks to the latter that the procedure can begin by delivering the first paper to fill: the I-20 form that allows you to register in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

You will then have to fill out the DS-160 form online here. Like all the forms you will need to fill out for the USA, we advise you to fill in the information requested as clearly and honestly as possible. The US administration is known for its very strict and procedural side, your application could be refused for a simple typo. Once the DS-160 duly completed, a processing fee will be requested and a 10-digit number will be assigned to you: note it well.

Then comes the moment of the interview at the US embassy. To make an appointment, you will need to submit the following documents:

Once the date of the interview is fixed, you will be asked to present yourself with a file containing:

If you stay at least 1 year in the United States, you will be required to have the necessary funds to pay tuition fees and to finance your life on the spot. No paid employment will be allowed during the first year. Be careful not to confuse the F1 and J1 visas.