When your ESTA is Denied

Essential when you plan to visit the United States, the ESTA form allows you to leave for business or tourism and stay 90 days on US soil. Sometimes it is not granted.

If this is your case, do not panic! The following information should allow you to react quickly and prepare your stay with confidence.

The causes of the refusal

Did you just learn that your ESTA authorization is denied? The grounds for refusing ESTA may be diverse, but in most cases, a rejected ESTA form is simply a poorly completed form . By carelessness, you have probably entered information different from that which is written on your passport.

Your authorization may also be denied for security reasons . If you have indicated that you have committed serious crimes or misdemeanors, the US immigration authorities may have opted to refuse your request. All that remains is to re-apply, following the rules for obtaining ESTA .

If you have planned a stay of more than 90 days, you will also be refused your ESTA certificate so pay attention to the dates.

What are the steps to take?

Have you just received your ESTA form with the mention “unauthorized travel


Situation 1: You made a mistake in your first request

Start by checking all the information on the document. If you notice that your name is misspelled or that you have made a mistake in copying your transport number, you can modify your information and make a new ESTA declaration after the refusal , paying particular attention to the proofreading stage. Note that you will have to pay a new file fee.

Good to know: you will not be able to reapply before 10 days!


Situation 2: You made no mistake in your ESTA request

If all your information is correct, you will have to apply for Visa . For this, you will have to go to the consulate or the embassy.

In this context, several possibilities are available to you. You can opt for the VISA B2 (tourist trip) or the VISA B1 (business trip) which will allow you to go to the United States for a period of 6 months maximum.

You can also apply for the green card if you belong to one of the following categories: asylum seeker, married to a US citizen, family close to the United States, selected to the annual lottery, job offer.

Avoid refusal of your ESTA request

With the assistance of paperwork specialists, be sure to send a well-filled ESTA application to avoid rejection and waste of unnecessary time. The entire ESTA application process is supported: collection of your information, review and corrections, submission of the form.